Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Names

This summer I decided we needed to do something together to keep the kids from fighting and to appreciate each other. I also wanted to study the scriptures better with the children but I wanted to do it in a way that they would understand and remember the stories, and enjoy it.After thinking a lot about it, I was impressed on how to deal with all that I was worrying about.The solution seemed to fix a lot of problems (scripture study,family prayer, fighting,boredom,being friends with your siblings, patience, calm and peace in our home)I decided that I would teach them the meaning of the names and tell them the story of who they were named after and the characteristics and attributes we hoped they would live up to. When Chase and I have named our children we have always chosen a name with a great meaning behind it.I studied each of their names and got pictures and props from the church book store or the dollar store. We have a lesson and then we do an activity that goes along with the lesson whether it is coloring or acting out the story. Then I give them a prize that symbolizes something from the story to help them remember the story. I also got them notebooks that I decorated and got them their own box of crayons that they take notes in or draw pictures of what they learned.When it is there name day I take them out on a date all by themselves for alone time with mom.They all have really enjoyed this and get excited for each new lesson. It has been a great blessing. I am also so surprised at how excited they get just to spend time with me. Gid who is only two had the time of his life.I am only half way done with their names , but I plan to teach them all of the scripture stories this way, at least while they are young.

5 comments:

Jenna said...

I started dates with the kids individual, and they love it. I also started 20 minutes of alone time a few days a week where they each can pick what they want to do for 20 minutes and no on else can interfere. They love it. I like how you did the whole name meaning thing. It is hard to share time with each kid and I only have 4. But they need it and love it. We also switch and have Damon take them on dates too!

Crazymamaof6 said...

way to go! that is awesome! i need to do dates with my kids more often.

shannoncrandall6 said...

Wow Ali what a great way to spend the long summer days. Isn't it funny how kids will do anything to get alone time with mom and dad.

Alli grins said...

You are so cool, Ali! What a great Mommy you are.

Jill said...

What a great idea to mix scripture study and teaching the kids who they were named after. You are a great mom! Thus you and Chase have a great family!